Friday 22 May 2015

BRIEF 12 - DESIGN PUBLICATION - DESIGN DECISIONS

As this was to be my final project at the end of my degree, I really wanted it to show my full potential as a designer.

The publication had to reflect the content and me as both a designer and a person.

The first decision that I made about my design publication was that I wanted to Coptic bind it. Having seen how attractive and interesting Coptic publications look this is something I really wanted to achieve.


I also made a decision on the content of the publication. There needed to be a section on my methodology and I wanted to included sections on my interests, my work and my experiences.

I broke my interests down into these categories; fashion, design, photography, football, skiing and lifestyle.

I initially broke my work down into branding, editorial and promotion but decided to just choose my favourite projects.

The experiences section would be made up of external work, visits to studios, shows and exhibitions and talks by professionals. 


Coptic binding requires several section, each containing a certain number of leaves. My publication is made up of seven sections, each containing three leaves and therefore 12 pages.

The cover section is printed on a heavier stock (200gsm) whilst the internal section is printed on a lighter 120gsm stock. The methodology section is printed on a grey coloured stock and is only uses black ink.

The two fonts used throughout the publication are Adobe Garamond Pro Regular and Gill Sans Semibold. 


The layout is very variable depending on the content but a minimal approach has been taken to reflect my work.

White thread is used to bind the publication together as to not detract from the publication but keep the sophisticated and minimal aesthetic.

A sleeve has also been designed and cut out to protect the publication but also makes the publication seem more prestigious, rather than just a magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment